It is with great pride that we recently unveiled HEALTHone Connect, the first online electronic medical record system to be introduced to the South African medical industry. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Dilip Naran and our formidable research and development team for making this a reality.
Designed to offer complete confidentiality of patient information, HEALTHone Connect provides each medical practice with its own secure unique database, which is not shared with any other entity. Access to the system is further secured by the use of digital certificates. HEALTHone Connect has been developed to comply with many of the security standards set by HIPAA (USA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996). In essence, the HIPAA Security Rule requires that practices focus on three main issues when it comes to protecting Electronic Patient Health Information:
- Confidentiality — that ePHI is not made available or disclosed to unauthorized persons or processes;
- Integrity — that ePHI has not been altered or destroyed in an unauthorized manner;
- Availability — that ePHI is accessible and useable upon demand by an authorized person.
Research has shown that the effective use of an electronic patient record system can lead to an average saving of one hour per doctor per day, leaving healthcare practitioners with more time to spend with their patients.
We are delighted to be in a position to release our own South Africanized EMR system allowing our medical fraternity to truly be on par with the rest of the world. Online applications are here to stay. Our product has been built to cater for the South African and African markets – for the ‘now’, as well as when National Health Insurance (NHI) becomes a reality.
The application is cross browser compatible and can be accessed from any internet connected device. Derived from the HEALTHone electronic patient record system introduced to the South African Market in 2005, HEALTHone Connect shares features that are popular with current users. The application includes all the commonly used transaction types while integration with the top three laboratories in South Africa ensures seamless flow of results into the patient record. The use of HEALTHone Connect will improve the ability of practices with the move from paper-based systems to digital as seamlessly as possible.
HEALTHone Connect offers all functions required for the optimal management of healthcare records in a computerised environment, including the ability to create, store, retrieve and share patient records. The software has many features that enhance patient care and management. These include:
- Access to a comprehensive drug database
- Access to treatment protocols
- Analysis of clinical data
- Generation of drug prescriptions
- Creation of documents, reports, referrals and certificates
- Integration of laboratory and radiology data
- Integration of text and medical images
- Quick search and retrieval of records
- Capturing of all patient vital signs and body metrics with analysis
- Maintaining the patient’s medical history
- Capacity for the inclusion of custom practice-centric data forms
The data on the iPad application is stored and uploaded with full strength AES256-bit encryption. Working in tandem with HEALTHone Connect this offers a fully secure integrated clinical management solution. HEALTHone Connect is geared to introduce efficiencies in the management of clinical information which will ensure good clinical practice and eventually improved patient care.
For more information please contact our National Support Centre or go to www.medemass.com.